Sunday, November 17, 2013

Kristy's Questions to Enhance Comprehension!

Some of you reading this already know the wonderful, inimitable, Miss Kristy. She is starting a TeachersPayTeachers store, and although she's just beginning to update, I highly recommend that you follow her  and do anything she says. I know I do, and I've never regretted it!

I'm super critical about curriculum. Not in a negative, naggy way, but in the traditional sense. I am very cautious about things that claim to be "Common Core Aligned" or that haven't been tested out with actual students. 

So when I say that Kristy is the real deal, I can't be anymore heartfelt. It's not just because she's been Teacher of the Year for her (VERY large) district (oh, yeah, she's awesome like THAT), it's also that she's thoughtful and thorough and practical and kind and inspiring. I learn something from her every. single. time. we are together for more than 20 seconds.

I just bought her Questions to Enhance Comprehension (for a dollar! what the!) to use with my parent conferences the week after Thanksgiving. I'm also translating it into Spanish because, hi, I need it. I'll send it back to her so she can add it to the download, so you'll get that too! I also got the Math About Me to add to their math journals....SO FUN! I got some other stuff too, but check it out yourself.

If you get a chance to look at their I Have/Who Has telling time cards, you'll see what I mean about being critical. So many times, you just see regular old clock faces and times, both in very standard form. It's nothing new or special. Notice that she includes a variety of language options on her cards....not just "who has 9:30" but "who has half past 9?" Those are the details that keep the cognitive demand (rigor) high and provide for rich discussions with even the littlest learners. {LOVE}


No comments:

Post a Comment