Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Sticky Situations

TL/DR: Scroll down and make a set of glue sponges. You're welcome.
 
People of earth: I hate glue.

I hate the gooey white glue. I have memories of spreading a thin layer of elmer's on the palm of my hand, just so I could let it dry and then pick it off. That may have happened last week. *cough* Still, I don't like to deal with it in my classroom. Either I never did it at school, or my teachers were a lot cooler than I am. I hate the way it leaks everywhere...I hate the way it clogs up and dries out in the nozzle...and I hate the way it leaves bumps under the paper they are gluing down. I am full of hate for white glue.

This problem is not solved with glue sticks. Of all the unimportant things (and there are many) that make me  feel like I'm slowly going insane in my classroom, glue sticks have to be very near the top. They don't work (papers once tacked down pop off when the glue ages), they don't last (it seems that a single child can easily plow through three sticks a month), and the kids just absolutely refuse to take care of them (I am constantly finding the lids kicked under furniture as the stick dries in the materials box). Oh, I know, I've tried so many ways to manage the glue sticks. From numbering the glue sticks, to lecturing on the importance of caring for our materials, to even guarding them with the intensity of a mother lion protecting her cubs....I can never get over the fact that they seem to be eating these things. There is no other explanation for the vortex of glue in my classroom. Sometimes, I'll walk through the room, sprinkling new sticks into the material boxes like a benevolent Fairy Godmother. Other times, I have refused to release my vice grip on any new glue sticks. I have, I regret to inform you, sternly watched 6 kids try to finish their projects before the recess bell as they pass a single, half-dried stick between them, satisfied that they are finally beginning to understand what happens when we don't take care of our 15 cents worth of glue. Get the straight jacket, I've totally lost it.

I hate glue. I hate myself because of glue. Enter the glue sponge. I found a video of it here. It's a fine video. If you are like me, you will resist watching any instructional video longer than 90 seconds. It's nothing personal, just not my preferred method of delivery. So, go watch the video. Or, check this out:

Pour some white glue in the bottom of a disposable sandwich tupperware.
Place a sponge (and half of another sponge if needed) on top of the glue.

Pour more glue over the top. Make sure you secure the lid correctly.
 Set it aside over night (at least).
Students take their papers, pat it firmly but gently against the sponge, and press to their project. 
No. 
Seriously. 

You only have to do this once. Just add glue as needed to refresh. (I've not had to yet, and it's been a couple of months now). The boxes have changed our lives. Two tips, one I've used and one I have not: First, keep a spray bottle of plain water; before you put the lid back on the glue box, just spritz the sponges with plain water to keep them moist. Second, if they get smelly (SUPER looking forward to this, but nonissue so far!) dribble a few drops of mouthwash onto the sponges.

{LOVE}

No comments:

Post a Comment